It's been a week and a half since Hannah's surgery and she's still in the recovery phase. The surgery itself went great. It lasted a bit longer than expected, but she came through fine. She had a rough time coming out of anesthesia and got a bit violent, but apparently that's not too unusual for kids since they are so disoriented. It was planned ahead of time that Hannah would be admitted overnight at the hospital for monitoring so we were quickly taken up to her room. Her room was awesome. It was private, had two flat screen TVs and came complete with room service for both Hannah and Kyle and I. Hannah slept for a few hours and then woke up seriously thirsty and hungry. Over the next several hours she drank tons and downed 2 bowls of jello, a Popsicle, a bowl of macaroni and cheese, and a pancake. She was doing so well that the doctor decided that she did not need to stay overnight after all. They released us and we got home about 7pm. We had only had to be at the hospital for 13 hours instead of 36! YAY!
Hannah began running a slight fever the next day, but the doctor stated that as long as it stayed below 101.5 then she was fine, but if it got higher than that then we should take her to either urgent care or the ER. Around 5pm I took her temperature again after giving the Tylenol plenty of time to take affect. Her fever was now 103.6 and she had a nasty cough. Off we went to the urgent care. There she had a chest x-ray, urine culture, and strep test. We left the office with a diagnosis of post operative pneumonia and a prescription for an antibiotic. Hannah slept fitfully that night and finally awoke at 5am on Friday with a raging fever that Tylenol once again was not bringing down. We took her temperature and it was 104.7. Off we went to the ER. We got another chest x-ray, blood tests, IV fluids, a confirmed diagnosis of pneumonia, IV antibiotics and another oral antibiotic. 7 hours later we were finally discharged.
It's been a wild ride since last Wednesday, but it could be much worse. Pneumonia is nothing new at our house, although having it right after surgery is pretty scary. Now we just wait for Hannah's little body to kick this infection and finish healing up from the surgery. She has another appointment with the ENT for this Wednesday to check out all the post op stuff and then her primary doctor wrote a prescription for a follow-up chest x-ray to be done at the end of March after we've moved to confirm that the pneumonia is gone. Thursday while Kyle supervises the movers Hannah and I will head to Riley for her psychologist appointment. Pray that she is feeling well enough that she cooperates with the testing.
Here We Are
2 months ago